The easiest way to register to vote is to visit the MN Secretary of State website. You may also contact the Carlton County Auditor's office at 218-384-9127 to assist you.
Use the Voter Registration Lookup to find out if you’re already registered to vote at your current address.
Register Before Election Day
You may register to vote online at least 20 days before the election. Simply go to the "Register to Vote" button and it will walk you through the process.
Voter Registration Applications can be downloaded or are available at City Hall. Completed Registration Applications can be returned in person to the Carlton County Auditor’s Office at the Courthouse or by mailing them to:
Carlton County Auditor
PO Box 130
Carlton MN 55718
Register at your Polling Place on Election Day
You must bring one of the following with your current name and address to verify your residence in the precinct:
- A valid Minnesota driver’s license with the current address in the precinct (or learner’s permit, Minnesota ID card, or the receipt for any of these items which show the current address).
- A Tribal ID card that contains your picture and signature.
- A valid student photo ID with a current student fee statement that contains the address of the precinct you will be voting in.
- A valid student photo ID, if your college has provided a student housing list to election officials.
- A voter registered in the same precinct as you can confirm your address with a signed oath.
- Both a photo ID and a current bill from the list below with your current name and address in the precinct.
|Photo IDs||Bills (delivered electronically or by mail)|
|MN Driver's License||Telephone|
|MN ID Card||TV (cable, satellite, etc.)|
|US Passport||Internet Services|
|US Military ID Card||Electric|
|Tribal ID Card||Gas|
|Water and/or Sewer Services|
|Rent statement dated within 30 days of Election Day that itemizes utilities|