Administration and Finance FAQ

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The five member team in Administration helps the City Administrator manage the functions of all other City Departments and oversee the implementation of the City Council’s policies and decisions. In addition to coordinating Council and organizational activities, Administration is also responsible for human resources, management information services, public information, elections, and intergovernmental relations.

Finance is responsible for the general accounting functions of the City which includes accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, financial reporting, utility billing, budget preparation, and cash and investment portfolio management.

  • When is City Hall open?

    City Hall hours are 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

    Summer hours are 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. -11:30 a.m. Fridays. Summer hours are in effect from Memorial Day through Labor Day.

  • How often does the City Council meet?

    The City Council meets on the first and third Tuesday of each month for regular meetings. Administration prepares agendas and provides support information for approximately 24 meetings each year.

  • Where are City Council meeting held?

    Regularly scheduled meetings are held at the City Hall Council Chambers, 101 14th Street, beginning at 7:00 p.m.   An agenda/work session meeting is held beginning at 5:30 p.m.

  • Are Council meetings cable cast live?

    The City provides live streaming of the City Council meetings via our website.  Archived recordings of city council meetings are also available.  

  • Who do I contact regarding licensing questions?

    Administration processes applications for liquor, therapeutic massage, tobacco, refuse haulers, kennels, solicitors and other related activities under City Code.  Call (218) 879-3347 with licensing questions.

  • Who can I contact regarding outstanding Special Assessment balances on my property?

    Questions concerning special assessment status can be directed to the City at (218) 879-3347.

  • How can residents get involved?

    Contact your Councilor or the City Administrator. The City has several Boards and Commissions available to the public and from time to time special committees are formed to work on specific issues. If interested in serving on a Board/Commission, applications can be completed and submitted for consideration.

  • How many voting precincts are in Cloquet?

    The Administration department coordinates and staffs national, state, and local office elections at its six precincts. Five Councilors are elected by ward with the Mayor and one additional Councilor being elected “At Large.”

  • When are water meters read?

    The City completed the installation of new radio read water meters in all customers homes or business. This allows for actual readings each month.