Parks FAQ

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Public Works Department Maintenance Staff maintains City parks in order to provide recreational opportunities to the residents. The Cloquet Park Commission, consisting of seven (7) citizen volunteers, oversees the development/redevelopment of parks and trail areas. The City also hires up to five (5) full time seasonal employees.

  • How many parks are there in Cloquet?

    There are 14 parks with hundreds of acres of park land within Cloquet.

  • When are parks open for use?

    Parks are open to the general public from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. each day. By City Code, all parks are closed from 12:00 midnight to 6:00 a.m.

  • Can I reserve or rent a park?

    Certain park facilities can be reserved by contacting Community Education at 218-879-1261. Groups must allow a minimum of 14 days for processing requests.

  • Can I reserve a picnic shelter?

    Picnic shelters at Pinehurst Park, Sunnyside Park, Athletic Park, Pine Valley and Hilltop Park may be reserved for a nominal fee. Please contact Community Education at (218) 879-1261 to reserve a shelter.

  • Can I reserve a playfield for my team?

    Fields at Sunnyside Park, Athletic Park, Pinehurst Park and Hilltop parks may be reserved for a nominal fee. Please contact Community Education at (218) 879-1261 to reserve a field.

  • Can I reserve a campsite at the Spafford Park campground?

    Campsites are available on a first come/first served basis. The campground is open from approximately May 15th to October 14th. Camping fee is $25.00 per night; tent sites are $15.00 per night; and the monthly fee is $500.00. The campground host is available to answer questions and to help select campsites. They may be contacted at 218-390-4519.

  • Can alcohol be served in the parks?

    Alcoholic beverages are not allowed in any of the City park areas. No person shall transport, possess, offer for sale, consume, or be under the influence of any alcohol or intoxicating beverages while in a City park.

  • Can my dog run in City parks?

    Yes. Dogs may be walked or run in City parks and open spaces if they are leashed. Dogs should not be in picnic areas, athletic fields, or other improved park areas. Dog owners are responsible for picking up any animal waste that is deposited in any park by the dog and have it disposed of in an appropriate location.

  • Can I ride my ATV in City parks?

    No. City ordinances do not allow the use of ATV’s, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, etc. in City parks. Those ticketed for violating this ordinance are subject to fines, the repair of all damage, and community service.

  • Where are the outdoor hockey rinks?

    There are three outdoor hockey rinks located at Sunnyside Park, Pinehurst Park and Pine Valley. Outdoor pleasure skating rinks are at Sunnyside Park, Athletic Park and Pinehurst Park.

  • How do I make a donation to the Parks Department?

    You can make a contribution in several ways. Donations are accepted for a specific program or event, tree purchase, memorial bench, brick pavers or if you have another way in which you would like to contribute, the Parks Department will work with your needs.

  • How do I report an issue or vandalism in the parks?

    If you see a possibly dangerous issue in a park, please contact the Parks Department immediately at (218) 879-7762 or (218) 879-6758. Vandalism or other unsafe acts may be reported directly to the Cloquet Police Department by calling "911."

  • Where can I found rules and regulations of City parks?

    There rules and regulations that apply to the use of City parks can be found under Section 14.3 of the City Code.