Police FAQ

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Law enforcement services for residents of Cloquet are provided by the City with its 19 member department. This level of service allows for coverage on a twenty-four hour, 365 day basis. Office hours are 7:30 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday.

As part of its normal duties, one detective also serves as the School Resource Officer and works during the school year at the schools. This position works to reduce truancy, drug and alcohol use, and violence in the schools. The Department also has members on an emergency response team (CERT).

  • Who do I contact if my bicycle has been lost or stolen?

    Several bicycles are left unclaimed at the Cloquet Police Department. If your bicycle has been lost or stolen, please call the Cloquet Police Department at (218) 879-1247 to check if it has been found or recovered.

  • I lost or misplaced my keys. Who do I call?

    Several keys have been turned in at the Cloquet Police Department and go unclaimed. If you have lost or misplaced your keys, please call the Cloquet Police Department at (218) 879-1247 to check if someone found them.

  • What is the policy regarding on-street parking in Cloquet during the winter months?

    Section 5.4.05 of the Municipal Code states that no person shall park on any City street, alley, boulevard, sidewalk, or public grounds from midnight - 6:00 a.m. from November 1st to March 31st of each year. Vehicles found parked on the street during this time will be tagged and towed.  City Code chapter 5.4.05.

  • Can the Police help me if my neighbor has a yard full of junk/garbage?

    Yes. Chapter 7 of the Municipal Code defines this situation as a public nuisance. The City would encourage neighbors to talk to the property owner about the health and welfare concerns of such condition being present. If the situation is not resolved, please contact the Cloquet Police Department by calling the non-emergency phone number 218-384-4185. All complainants’ names are left confidential.

  • Where can I place yard sale signs?

    Signs cannot be nailed, pasted, glued or affixed to any lamp post, mast, electrical wire post, telephone pole or any pole or post in any street boulevard or public alley of the City of Cloquet. It is also unlawful to place any type of sign on any fence, building or structure not owned or controlled by the person without first obtaining the permission of the owner.

  • Can I hunt deer within the City limits of Cloquet?

    The discharge of a weapon is prohibited in all platted subdivisions of the City of Cloquet EXCEPT per City Code 6.15: Hunting Deer by Bow and Arrow in the Cloquet City Limits. Hunting continues to be allowed in other areas as long as it is not in violation of state game laws or in proximity to residential homes.

  • How do I apply for a permit to purchase a firearm?

    If you are a resident of Cloquet, these applications can be picked up at the Cloquet Police Department. After being filled out you may return them to the Police Department; we will also need a copy of your driver’s license. It will then take 6 – 10 days to process and we will mail you the permit.

    You may also download the application: Minnesota Uniform Firearm Application/Receipt Permit to Purchase/Transfer

  • Are snowmobiles and ATV's allowed within the City limits?

    Yes. Snowmobiles and ATV’s are allowed within the City limits, however these vehicles are not allowed to operate on County Aid, State Aid, or State Highways. Municipal Code strictly prohibits the use of such vehicles in City parks. City Code requires ATVs to be registered through the Police Department.

  • Does the City have a curfew for juveniles?

    Yes. Under Section 7.5 of the Municipal Code, the City has established a curfew for all persons under the age of 18. In general, the curfew hours are 11:00 p.m. until 6:00 a.m. on weekdays and 12:00 midnight on Saturday or Sunday.

  • Does the City have a drug dog?

    Yes. In late 1999, the City acquired a drug dog. The dog and its handler are active in working with local, state, and federal officials with the goal of reducing drug use and trafficking.

  • Does the City require the licensing of bicycles?

    No. The City does not license bicycles. For anyone interested in licensing a bicycle, licenses may be purchased at any state vehicle license office.

  • Smoking in public places.

    Smoking is prohibited in all indoor areas of any public building. To ensure that smoke does not enter public buildings, smoking is prohibited within 25 feet of any entrance, exit, open window or ventilation intake.